Five local businesses are launching a new program dubbed The Pop Up Downtown Campus.
Each of the businesses involved will host a work shop on a night of the week.
The businesses and their work shops include:
- A wood engraving Class at Grey Gallery
- Wood turning at the and making a table at Intersections Wood Gallery
- Cheese classes at The Milk Maid
- Kids' Art Classes at The Workshop/Artists' Co-op
- Poetry, Spoken Word and Songwriting at The Ginger Press
The events happen at different times with some businesses hosting daily events. Those who register will be invited to exclusive evening activities as well. Each activity has varying costs to register.
For more details or to register for these workshops you can contact the business directly.
Maryann Thomas of The Ginger Press believes programs like this will help draw people into the downtown.
"We have been struggling with a lot of construction, a lot of challenges in the downtown recently," Thomas says during an interview, "this is a way for the focus downtown to become more positive."
Thomas says that the hope is to make The Pop Up Campus a yearly event taking place the week before Summerfolk in hopes of capturing both locals and tourists.